BEVERLY, Mass. (WHDH) -
A $5,000 reward is being offered for information into what caused a fire inside a vacant home in Beverly Sunday night.
The scene played out at 29 Folger Avenue, where witnesses said the 3-alarm fire began to spread, first to another building under construction and then to other homes.
"It was crazy, it was crazy. The whole sky was just orange and embers everywhere, flying all of the way down to the other end of the street. It was very scary," said Holly Spencer, who saw the fire.
The fear was that it wouldn't stop spreading, the wild flames forcing people to try and protect their homes.
"I think a lot of concern was the neighbors, it got worse from one house to the next," said Stephen Goodrich.
Firefighters were able to knock down the fire at around 12:45 a.m. The two buildings under construction were destroyed and seven others were damaged. Residents were able to escape their homes. No one was hurt.
Officials said wind and dry conditions helped to fuel the flames.
"The winds were coming this way. You know, they were hitting the firefighters with the radiant heat. They were feeling the heat when they were in there. They had to expose themselves to save this home," said Beverly Fire Chief Paul Cotter.
Arson investigators say the fire was set in an empty home, but crews aren't sure if it had been set intentionally or accidentally.
Anyone with information on how the fire may have started is asked to call the anonymous tipline at (800) 682-9229.