3-alarm fire destroys home in Lancaster - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

3-alarm fire destroys home in Lancaster

Posted: Updated:
A fire broke out at a home on Kilbourn Road in Lancaster late Saturday night.

The 3-alarm fire reportedly caused some oxygen tanks inside the home to explode.

"When we called it in, flames were shooting out of the upstairs window. It was really going at that point. Fifteen minutes later the whole house was gone," said John Zimmer, a neighbor whose wife filmed the fire burning.

The home was a total loss after fire ripped through the structure just before 11 p.m., with the flames fueled and intensified by about a dozen oxygen tanks that were inside.

Firefighters had to battle the flames from outside because of the potential for an explosion.

"By the time we got here, it was going bad and we decided not to go in. And within five minutes the tanks exploded and that's what spread the fire through the house," said Chief Michael Hanson of the Lancaster Fire Department.

"The roof was totally collapsing. It was just out of control," said Johnathan Hedgepeth, who grew up in the house, where his father still lives.

Hedgepeth's father wasn't home when the fire started.

Hanson said they rescued two dogs and a cat that were trapped inside the home. One of the dogs had to be revived by the firefighters.
  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.