Lynn toddlers severely burned by hot water - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Lynn toddlers severely burned by hot water

Posted: Updated:
LYNN, Mass. (WHDH) - Lynn Police said that two young children have been hospitalized after being severely burned by hot water Wednesday morning.

According to officials, the victims are brothers and were being watched by a 21-year-old baby-sitter at the time of the incident. One is 18 months old and the other is 3 years old.

Charles Collins, the father of the baby-sitter said that his son was watching the children but that he went back to his apartment across the hall to use the bathroom. He said his son is distraught, that he hated himself for what happened.

"He is not really too good at baby-sitting. The oldest one got up and turned on the hot water: it got too hot," Collins said.

Collins is also questioning whether the water heater was set too high or if it malfunctioned. A plumber was seen going into the apartment building. 

The brothers received the burns from bathtub water. The younger one has second degree burns on over 50 percent of his back. The older brother has second degree burns on over 80 percent of his upper torso and groin areas.

Both were medflighted separately to Mass. General Hospital.

The younger child is critical but stable condition, the older brother is also in stable condition.

Investigators from police, the fire department and the DCF are looking into how the children got burned.

  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.