BROCKTON, Mass. (WHDH) -
A former employee of the Boys and Girls Club of Brockton was charged with raping a 13-year-old girl at an after school program.
Police said Chris Policard, now 22 years old, was not a direct counselor to the victim, but knew her.
The assaults allegedly happened last year and the suspect was arraigned on charges Tuesday.
“It's knocked a lot of people off the foundations. It’s a betrayal of trust in the worst way and of course there’s no one we feel worse for than the child that was involved in this,” Brockton Boys and Girls Club CEO William Conlon said.
Chris Policard pleaded not guilty in Brockton Superior Court on Tuesday to aggravated rape and indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 for the alleged relationship that dates to February 2013. He is being held on $75,000 bail.
According to court documents, the victim told police Policard began a relationship with her by giving her hugs in a stairwell of the facility out of sight of other staffers, children and building surveillance cameras. That led to kissing, sexual contact and sexual texts between them.
Policard denied having any sexual contact with the girl. His lawyer did not return messages.
Parents say they are concerned about what happened in a place that is supposed to be safe.
“Now it can be really hard to trust people, the world is changing,” Cynthia Cast, a parent, said.
Leaders at the Boys and Girls Club say Policard was fired from his job as soon as they learned about the allegations against him.