Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino says he's withdrawing from c - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino says he's withdrawing from concussion suit

Posted: Updated:
MIAMI (AP) - Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino says he inadvertently became a plaintiff in a concussion lawsuit against the NFL and is withdrawing immediately.
   
Marino said he doesn't suffer any effects from head injuries.
   
"Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf, just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma," Marino said in a statement Tuesday. "I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff. ... I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit, and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff."
   
Marino's withdrawal costs the litigants a high-profile plaintiff. He was by far the best-known of 15 former players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week.
   
They joined more than 4,800 others who allege the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The league has denied those allegations.
   
"I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries," Marino, 52, said in his statement.
   
The NFL and the original group of players agreed on a $765 million settlement last August, but that deal was rejected by a federal judge in January.
   
Marino spent his entire 17-year career with the Miami Dolphins and retired as the most prolific passer in NFL history.
   
He worked as an analyst for CBS from 2002 to 2013 but wasn't retained for this season. He has had recent discussions with the Dolphins about a role in their front office, and a lawsuit might have complicated such a hiring.
  • SportsMore>>

  • Red Sox trade LHP Doubront to Cubs

    Red Sox trade LHP Doubront to Cubs

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 8:22 PM EDT2014-07-31 00:22:31 GMT
    The Boston Red Sox have traded left-hander Felix Doubront to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named.[more]
    The Boston Red Sox have traded left-hander Felix Doubront to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named.[more]
  • Lester scratched from start, trade a possibility

    Lester scratched from start, trade a possibility

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 4:38 PM EDT2014-07-30 20:38:10 GMT
    Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been scratched from Wednesday's start against the Blue Jays, with the possibility that he could be traded before Thursday's trade deadline.[more]
    Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester has been scratched from Wednesday's start against the Blue Jays, with the possibility that he could be traded before Thursday's trade deadline.[more]
  • Lost Red Sox World Series ring returned by Yankees fan

    Lost Red Sox World Series ring returned by Yankees fan

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:32 AM EDT2014-07-30 11:32:33 GMT
    A lost Red Sox World Series ring is back on the finger of its owner, thanks to a nifty pickup by an ardent New York Yankees fan.[more]
    A lost Red Sox World Series ring is back on the finger of its owner, thanks to a nifty pickup by an ardent New York Yankees fan.[more]
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.