Aaron Hernandez indicted in 2012 South End murder - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Aaron Hernandez indicted in 2012 South End murder

Posted: Updated:
BOSTON (WHDH) - Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on two counts of first degree murder in the 2012 double homicide in the South End.

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a press conference on Thursday that victims Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado were ambushed and were innocent victims with no ties to illegal activities. He also said that there was no evidence to suggest that the victims knew Hernandez before the night of the murder.

“This was a chance encounter where two young men were out at the nightclub, and basically, you know, had an encounter that led to obviously their deaths,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said.

The whole dispute between Hernandez and the victims is said to have started over a spilled drink according to sources.

Police have said the victims were shot by someone who drove up alongside in an SUV and opened fire while they were sitting in a BMW outside a nightclub. Hernandez was seen on surveillance footage in the nightclub that night, authorities have said.

“Unbeknownst to them, Hernandez followed behind traveling in an S.U.V. when the victim's car stopped at a red light at Shawmut Avenue Aaron Hernandez fired a 38-caliber revolver multiple times from the driver’s side of his vehicle into the passenger’s side of the victim's vehicle,” Conley said.

Boston police wrote in an affidavit last year there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving a vehicle used in the double shooting. The affidavit was filed as police sought to search an SUV involved in the shooting and found at Hernandez's uncle's home in Bristol, Connecticut.

"This case was not about Hernandez. It was about two people stalked, ambushed and murdered," said Conley.

Hernandez was also charged with three counts of armed assault with attempt to murder. He will be arraigned sometime next week.

He is already being held without bail after pleading not guilty to the 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd. Conley said the investigation of the Boston killings moved forward after the Lloyd case, which will be tried separately in another Massachusetts court.

"It is one thing to make allegations at a press conference, and another thing to prove them in a courtroom," Hernandez attorneys said in a statement. "Unlike the District Attorney, we are not going to try this case in the media. Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court."

  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.