NH officials investigating deadly shooting, explosion - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

NH officials investigating deadly shooting, explosion

Posted: Updated:
BRENTWOOD, N.H. (WHDH) - Officials said there was no return fire in the deadly shooting and home explosion Monday during which Brentwood Police Officer Steve Arkell was killed.

Jane Young, New Hampshire Associate Attorney General, said that the ATF, fire marshals, and State Police were working to discover what occurred on Monday.

Young said Arkell responded to a call reporting a "verbal domestic dispute" at 46 Mill Pond Road in Brentwood. He encountered Walter Nolan, the 86-year-old man living in the house. Arkell reportedly asked permission to enter the home, at which point witnesses reported hearing gunfire.

Officials believe Nolan's 47-year-old son, Michael, fired the shots that killed Arkell. Autopsies are not complete, but officials believe the second body pulled from the wreckage of the home was Michael Nolan.

The second officer who arrived on the scene, Derek Franek, said he saw bullet holes in the wall and Arkell's body on the floor. Franek is said to be doing ok, surrounded by friends and family members.

Brentwood Police Chief Wayne Robinson thanked the first responders involved in stabilizing the situation on Monday, and recognized Arkell for his work.

"He worked well with everybody. Anything Steve could do, he was there to do it. I'd just like to give everything that I can to the family, and everything to my police officers, because they're all behind him," Robinson said.

Young said she spoke with Arkell's family and that his wife, Heather, asked for privacy during this time and while officials continue to investigate the incident.

Young said that with respect to the fire and subsequent explosion, an accident was unlikely.

Arkell's death was ruled a homicide from multiple gunshot wounds.

Neither of the two men living in the duplex home had criminal records. Walter Nolan was transported, treated, and released from a local hospital. The fire completely decimated two homes, and others incurred damage, according to New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph Foster. Most residents have returned to their homes, though some remain displaced as officials work to secure the area.
  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.