Ohio kidnapping survivors say they're thriving - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Ohio kidnapping survivors say they're thriving

Posted: Updated:
CLEVELAND (AP) - The three women held captive in a Cleveland house before escaping a year ago Tuesday have spent their first year of freedom in nearly a decade learning to drive, taking boxing lessons and cherishing time with their families.

Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus both said in statements released Monday that they are thankful and growing in many ways.

Michelle Knight said in an interview on NBC's "Today" show Monday that she forgives the man who kidnapped and tortured her and the two others. She said Ariel Castro deserves forgiveness because she'd want to be forgiven if she did wrong, and "that's the way of life."

Tuesday is the anniversary of the escape from the house by Knight, Berry and DeJesus. Knight, 33, said she doesn't see much of the other two women, saying "we're all now living in our own way."

DeJesus was 14 when she was kidnapped by Castro. She said she's enjoying learning how to drive and use new technology.  "I am spending time with my family and working with Amanda on a book that we are really excited about," she said.

Berry said the future is bright for her and thanked her family and friends for support.

"On this day, we decided that the right place for us to be was with other families who have gone through what our family has gone through," Berry said. "I want these families to know they will always have a special place in our hearts."

Knight -- who has a book coming out Tuesday -- said she's a singer who just recorded a song, and she's also training to be a boxer.

Knight said in the interview that she was surprised when Castro, who pleaded guilty in August, killed himself in prison, wondering "why would he hurt his children like that?"

The three all hoped their captor would plead guilty to avoid a trial, according to documents released by the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office Monday, and the FBI and Cleveland Police Department also did not want the women to be re-traumatized by a trial.

"They say they understand the need to put Castro away for life," according to a July 11, 2013 prosecutor's document weighing the pros and cons of seeking the death penalty.

Castro pleaded guilty to hundreds of charges last year and committed suicide in prison shortly after beginning a life sentence.

DeJesus was 14, Berry was 16 and Knight was 20 when they disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They were rescued from Castro's run-down house May 6, 2013, after Berry broke through a screen door.

Berry and DeJesus are collaborating with two Washington Post reporters on a book due out next year. Charles Ramsey, the man credited with helping the women escape from the house, also has written a book.
  • U.S. & World NewsMore>>

  • Obama to Europe: NATO to oppose Russian aggression

    Obama to Europe: NATO to oppose Russian aggression

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:44 PM EDT2014-09-03 03:44:35 GMT
    Confronted by a Kremlin-backed military offensive in Ukraine, President Barack Obama and Western allies will approve plans this week to position at least 4,000 troops and military equipment in Eastern Europe,...[more]
    Confronted by a Kremlin-backed military offensive in Ukraine, President Barack Obama and Western allies will approve plans this week to position at least 4,000 troops and military equipment in Eastern Europe, bolstering...[more]
  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 11:23 PM EDT2014-09-03 03:23:08 GMT
    The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.[more]
    Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...[more]
  • Report accuses Islamic State group of war crimes

    Report accuses Islamic State group of war crimes

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:24 PM EDT2014-09-03 02:24:18 GMT
    Amnesty International has accused the militant Islamic State group of carrying out a systematic campaign of mass killings, abductions and ethnic cleansing in northern Iraq that could amount to war crimes.[more]
    An international rights group accused the extremist Islamic State group on Tuesday of systematic "ethnic cleansing" in northern Iraq targeting indigenous religious minorities, as well as conducting mass killings of men and...[more]
  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.