A Milford man was rescued Monday afternoon after falling off a roof and getting tangled in power lines.
Firefighters said the man was working on the chimney of a home on Sunnyside Lane when the ladder started to slide. The electrical wires saved him from falling to the ground.
"The ladder slid to the right, approximately 4 feet and he twisted...so he went backwards after he slid to the right," Lt. Mike Detore of the Milford Fire Department said.
The power lines, which could have electrocuted him, were now the only thing saving him from a potentially deadly fall.
But it took a while before anyone even knew he was in trouble.
"They said approximately 45 minutes he was calling for help until a neighbor finally heard and she called to get some help for him," Lt. Detore said.
Police called National Grid to disconnect the power while firefighters focused on freeing the man. Nearly 20 minutes later, he was slowly led down the engine's ladder.
"He got himself in a not so great situation but it proved better than not having the wires there,” Lt. Detore said.
There was an ambulance waiting in the event the man needed to be taken to the hospital but officials said the man suffered no injuries.
"He was good. He was in good spirits, he was calm,” Lt. Detore said.
WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114
News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551