In a story you saw first on 7News, two people were injured in a firework-induced explosion at an apartment complex in Abington.
The explosion was contained in just one apartment in the building, but neighbors said the blast shook their windows.
One neighbor heard a man screaming for help.
“He basically kicked the door in. He was covered with blood, this gentleman was screaming ‘help me help me, call 911,’” Joel Hampton said.
Hampton was visiting his girlfriend when the explosion happened, so jumped into action. He said a teenager was bleeding profusely and his hand was blown off.
I ran out there, the first thing I could think of was putting a tourniquet on his hand to stop the bleeding, and sit him down cause he was really dizzy,” Hampton said.
Abington firefighters rushed to the scene. They evacuated the building after learning of more fireworks. A bomb squad safely removed them.
The fire marshal's office is trying to figure out why the fireworks exploded, saying it was not intentional. There was nothing suspicious inside the apartment.
The condition of the 17-year-old who lost his hand is unknown, but his injuries are not considered life-threatening. A 31-year-old who lived at the apartment received blast injuries to his back, but he's been treated an released.