Incognito wants to return to Miami Dolphins - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Incognito wants to return to Miami Dolphins

Posted: Updated:

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Former Miami Dolphins player Richie Incognito broke his silence in the wake of his stint in rehab and a report that labeled him a bully.

Speaking in an exclusive interview, Incognito said he was feeling well after treatment. Now he wants to get back on the field.

He spoke to 7's Rosh Lowe about his future on the football field. During the interview, Incognito stressed the fact that he wants to come back to South Florida. He is currently in Arizona, but he wants another opportunity to play for the Miami Dolphins.

Rosh Lowe: "How much do you want to return to the Dolphins?"

Richie Incognito: "Returning to the Dolphins was my number one goal from the time I got suspended."

Incognito said he wants to play for the Miami Dolphins again.

Richie Incognito: "I want to return to the community in Miami and resume my playing career as soon as possible."

The offensive lineman recently sought professional help for mental health issues.

Rosh Lowe: "Why did you go into treatment?"

Richie Incognito: "Because I was stressed. I believe in post traumatic stress syndrome, and I believe in private mental health care."

Incognito was accused of bullying then-teammate Jonathan Martin. It led Martin to walk away from the team and to a full scale investigation by the National Football League, which issued a lengthy report. The investigation determined Incognito and two other Miami Dolphins offensive linemen engaged in persistent harassment of Martin. Incognito was then suspended and missed the final eight games. He became a free agent when his contract with the Dolphins expired.

Richie Incognito: "I didn't even read it [the report]. I skimmed it. I knew what was in it for months."

Incognito spoke to 7News just a day after returning to Twitter following a lengthy absence. His message is clear. He said he wants a do-over and takes responsibility.

Richie Incognito: "I want a clean slate. I'm at peace with everything that happened. I'm at peace with the attorneys and myself. Go to my Twitter page. I'm back online, and I'm not mad at anybody."

Rosh Lowe: "What was your reaction when Jonathan Martin signed with the 49ers?"

Richie Incognito: "I was excited. He always felt welcomed up there at Stanford and with Coach Harbaugh. So I said, you know what? He's got an opportunity that he can run with. He can go play. I think it's awesome. The bottom line is, I'm for the people, by the people, and I just want to go back to work."

Rosh Lowe: "So the message to Dolphins fans is what, Richie?"

Richie Incognito: "Dolphins fans, Richie is well. Richie wants to come back and play. But the business has to handle the business end, and that's it."

Incognito posted his first tweet after his stint in rehab. "Feels good to finally be #FREEEEEE," he wrote.

Incognito wants to return to Miami. But, the question remains, will he get another chance in the NFL? Richie says football is what he knows. It's in his blood, and he thinks that everyone deserves a second chance.

• College FootballMore>>

Man United buries Galaxy 7-0 in Van Gaal's debut

Thursday, July 24 2014 2:59 AM EDT2014-07-24 06:59:55 GMT
    Manchester United made an impressive debut under coach Louis van Gaal on Wednesday night, with Wayne Rooney scoring twice late in the first half of a 7-0 victory over the LA Galaxy.[more]
    Although Louis van Gaal intends to restore Manchester United to its former international glory, even the veteran coach was impressed when his new club scored a virtual touchdown at the Rose Bowl.[more]

TCU's Fields investigated for alleged assault

Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:20 PM EDT2014-07-23 00:20:43 GMT
    TCU suspended defensive end Devonte Fields on Tuesday pending the results of a police investigation into whether he punched a former girlfriend in the head and threatened her with a gun while shouting, "I should blast you!"[more]

Paterno son, other former assistant sue Penn State

Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:21 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:21:48 GMT
    A son of late Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has sued the university over his dismissal from its coaching staff two years ago, saying he has been unfairly linked to the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal.[more]
  • On Deco DriveMore>>

Kevin Cameron

Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:37 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:37:43 GMT
    Tell Chris Brown and Usher to move over and make some room. A new R&B love man wants a part of the action. Miami homeboy Kevin Cameron has got the moves, the voice and what it takes to make his dreams come true.[more]

Hercules - The Demigod Next Door

Wednesday, July 23 2014 9:41 PM EDT2014-07-24 01:41:32 GMT
    "Hercules" star Dwayne Johnson."Hercules" star Dwayne Johnson.
    Here at Deco we've always treated The Rock like a god. Thanks to his new movie "Hercules," the rest of the world will soon be, too. But don't worry; he's keeping his humanity front and center. Deco goddess Shireen is here with the details.[more]

Cirque Dreams

Wednesday, July 23 2014 12:31 AM EDT2014-07-23 04:31:05 GMT
    The biggest Cirque production this side of Vegas is in So-Flo, and from creating the concept to making a dream come true for a young star, Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy has plenty of 305 flava.[more]
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.