Douglas Municipal Center evacuated due to CO leak - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Douglas Municipal Center evacuated due to CO leak

Posted: Updated:
DOUGLAS, Mass. (WHDH) -

Firefighters evacuated the Douglas Municipal Center over fears of a carbon monoxide leak. The leak put children in danger because the building also houses a preschool.

18 people, including 16 children, were taken to area hospitals to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

On the second floor of the building is where a kindergarten program is located. The first floor is the town hall. In the basement on one side of the building is the police department.

77 kids in all were in the building Monday morning. At 8:30 a.m. students on the second floor started to feel ill, complaining of things like headaches and nausea. Those with higher levels of carbon monoxide were taken to area hospitals.

Those who didn't need hospital treatment were bussed across town to the new Douglas Elementary School. Firefighters and police officials were on scene to assist parents coming to see their children.

“Because they are so young, err on the side of caution, and do the most appropriate thing and let the A.M. treat them. If we have to transport them, we will transport them,” Douglas Police Chief Patrick Foley said.

The cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide was determined to be a malfunctioning furnace in the basement. Fire code does not require the building to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors but the town administrator has said there will be several installed following this incident.

  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.