3 found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in NH - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

3 found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in NH

Posted: Updated:
PLAISTOW, N.H. (WHDH) - Three people are dead and a fourth person is fighting to survive after carbon monoxide poisoning from inside their home.

Plaistow, N.H. fire officials said a simple set of batteries could have saved their lives.

“The carbon monoxide detector, one the batteries was missing, so the alarm never went off,” N.H. Fire Marshal John Southwell said.

The man who was still alive when firefighters arrived was taken to Mass. General Hospital where he is in a hyperbaric chamber.

Neighbors said officers were called to the home on Center Street when one of the residents didn't show up to work Tuesday morning.

Investigators said the colorless, odorless gas was leaking from the home's propane fired heating system.

“We found out the pipe to the new furnace he put in a few years ago had separated,” Sue Pierce, a neighbor, said.

With no batteries in the carbon monoxide detector, the people inside never knew there was a problem.

Officials said when firefighters got inside the house carbon monoxide levels were ten times higher than what would have set off a working alarm.
  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.