WORCESTER, Mass. (WHDH) -
Some well attuned Worcester residents were able to prevent an explosion Monday night, possibly saving many lives.
Just after 5 p.m. a fire crew was heading back to the station when they were waved down by people who said they smelled natural gas.
While investigating the situation crews shut down several blocks around the Main Street and Mill Street area, ultimately finding the source of the leak on Mill Street.
Utility employees are still looking into what caused a 6-inch gash in one of the pipes.
“All it would have taken was one cigarette, one pickup with a plow on it that hit the ground and created a spark, our gas levels were in that range where one incident like that would have created a much larger problem for us,” Worcester Fire Department District Chief Frank DiLiddo said.
Several businesses were temporarily shut down, but they have since reopened and work on the pipe is expected to be completed by Tuesday morning.