Fatal Cambridge fire caused by electrical heater - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Fatal Cambridge fire caused by electrical heater

Posted: Updated:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (WHDH) - Officials have confirmed that the cause of a fatal fire in Cambridge on Wednesday was due to an electrical baseboard heater.

According to a statement, either the heater itself malfunctioned, electrical wiring to the heater failed or combustibles on top of the heater caught fire.

The fire, which started at around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, caused the death of a woman who was believed to be a guest of one of the tenants. Fire officials believe that she tried to make an exit, but got trapped on the second floor.

Cambridge Fire Chief Gerald Reardon said that her chances of survival could have been improved if the smoke alarms in the building were working.

"All of the smoke alarms we found inside the apartment where the fire occurred, and many others throughout the building, were disconnected or without a battery," Reardon said.

The fire caused an estimated $400,000 in damage to the building and $50,000 to the building next door. Seven people were displaced.
  • Stay Connected

  • Like Us on Facebook
  • Follow Us on Twitter
Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.