It's a stormy day across much of southern New England as a storm heads from Atlantic City this morning to Cape Cod later this evening. Storm Thoughts:
* Drawn out storm that arrives between 6-8am and doesn't leave until 5-8am Friday morning (with a lull this evening).
* The morning commute is manageable before 9am but any travel plans for midday and certainly this afternoon-evening will be poor with heavy precipitation.
* I use "precipitation" because snow will change to sleet/rain on the South Shore mid morning and then charge up into metro Boston by early afternoon. I think some sleet is also likely well into metrowest (perhaps even out to I-495). Where it stays all snow (along/outside I-495) it's a lot and where you quickly change to rain on the South Shore the amounts are less. Our *special* map details the snowfall potential with this storm.
*Along the coast from Boston south pockets of heavy rain this afternoon will lead to ponding of water on the roadways and storm drains that are not cleared of the morning snow will cause some large puddles to form on the roads. An isolated thunderstorm is even possible on the Cape/Islands early this evening.
* Wind will be an issue for the South Shore as well as the North Shore this afternoon. Wind gusts between 40-50mph are likely at these locations and that combined with the wet snow could lead to some minor power disruption later today. Lighter wind speeds (15-25mph) are anticipated well inland.
* We will have wind but the tides are astronomically low for this storm--whew---only anticipating some pockets of minor coastal flooding at the 10:40pm high tide.
Looking beyond today, tomorrow offers improving conditions with developing sun and subsiding wind. Also, arctic air is not poised to return to New England so temps will flirt with 40 by afternoon. No issues on those roads for you or your sweetheart--keep those date night plans.
The weekend is 50/50 with yet another storm passing south of New England but just a little too far away for any significant snow. I do think 1-3" is possible across coastal New England though. Sunshine is back on Sunday.
WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114