Parents and teachers are worried about students at a Rhode Island middle school that are apparently snorting Smarties.
Portsmouth Middle School parents received an email late last week, warning them that the kids were snorting the candy, crushing it into a fine powder like cocaine.
“I couldn't believe, it was just unbelievable that they would do something like that, with a candy,” said Janet Igo.
Recent YouTube videos show people snorting and smoking the Smarties.
Officials said that the candies would give people a sugar rush, but do warn that the literal nose candy won't get them high and that there are side effects of snorting anything, including crushed candy.
The school's email also told parents snorting Smarties could lead to smoking cigarettes or using drugs.
So far there are no reports of any children being hospitalized because of snorting candy.
WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114