LAWRENCE, Mass. (WHDH) -- -
Two blocks of homes were evacuated in Lawrence after a gas leak was discovered in a vacant home.
Police said that NSTAR workers were doing an inspection in the area when they noticed a gas smell. They found a vacant home on Haverhill Street that had been broken into. According to officials, somebody had tried to take the pipes, leading to the leak.
Around 30 people were evacuated on Saturday. Six needed shelter while officials were investigating.
The Lawrence Fire Department said that everyone was able to return home at around 5:35 p.m.
WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114