NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) -- Town officials have unanimously approved a firearms ordinance limiting recreational shooting in Newtown.
The first debate on the proposal was held more than a year ago, before the Dec. 14 massacre in which a gunman killed 20 children and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Legislative Council President Jeff Capeci said Monday that the ordinance balanced the views of those seeking to protect their Second Amendment rights and others who worry about safety and nuisance problems, The News Times reported.
"It's a good compromise considering the varying interests," Capeci told the newspaper.
Hundreds of people offered about 200 hours of testimony over the course of the debate on the ordinance.
The ordinance approved last week by the Legislative Council says no resident may shoot for more than four hours after police are notified and shooting is limited to one person at a time. Target backstops are required and must be 10 feet above the target.
No shooting is allowed within a half-mile of a school.
The ordinance is targeted at recreational shooting and does not affect hunters or gun salutes for memorial events and tributes.
WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS