Patrick: Release of suspect photos violated rules - 7News Boston WHDH-TV

Patrick: Release of suspect photos violated rules

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (AP) -- Gov. Deval Patrick says a state police sergeant "violated the rules" by releasing photos of the capture of the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect.

But the governor did not appear eager to further discuss the release of the photos to Boston Magazine as he walked to his office Friday after a Statehouse event, telling reporters to "talk to the state police."

State police spokesman David Procopio said earlier that the agency didn't authorize Sgt. Sean Murphy to release the photos.

Procopio said Murphy had been relieved of duty for one day and an internal hearing would be held.

Murphy told the magazine he was furious over a Rolling Stone cover photo he believed glamorizes suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

State Public Safety Secretary Andrea Cabral, whose office oversees the state police, declined comment.

Powered by WorldNow

WHDH TV 7NBC WLVI TV CW56
Sunbeam Television Corp
7 Bulfinch Place
Boston, MA 02114

News Tips: (800) 280-TIPS
Tell Hank: (855) 247-HANK
Corporate Media Services: (800) 642-1551

Can't find something?
Connect with us here:
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WHDH. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.